I am an Artist!


hmmm... that sounds pretentious, does it? But it's not, no - because it's not all glorious anyway.

The ups are so high (and short), and the lows are abyssal and quite long. It's like having a relationship with a bipolar... that is you. It's being an addict to creativity and when it can't be expressed for some uncontrollable reasons and it's contained in a box against your will, it can drive you insane.
I know, I am quite insane myself!

But what can you do, sometimes you have to keep that job that puts butter on the table but doesn't leave you time to breath... so imagine create! It becomes very hard to be creative and productive when your "job" takes all the juice out of you. And then, you start feeling the withdrawal effect and that is a killer.

On the other side though...


When you do have the freedom to express yourself and CREATE it is GLORIOUS!

For me, it can be almost anything. I was a dancer, next a dance teacher before getting into acrobatics, and became a choreograph and trainer for gymnasts for let's say about 15 years. I was also very popular as an Automate, at the time we hated to call it like that but that's what it was, the "Robot".
And I was also a great Statue, considering I have a hard time to stay without moving, this was a stunt of the mind!



In those 15 years I also tour in Europe and Canada as an acrobat, afterward I jumped into comedy, yep! I was a stand up comedian for a while, but then I discovered Computer Graphic Arts,

"OMG" 

I went to night school full time from 6pm to 6 am every day for 8 months to learn 2D and 3D modeling and animation, game design and all. I loved it, video game was my new passion, my new addiction, mostly creating them but of course playing a bit too.
Since my little age I have been drawing, sculpting, painting, and I picked it all back again while working on computers. Meanwhile I was also in an Improvisation league making people crack up with my wit and very "non politically correct" humour.
At that point I got an opportunity to start working with a friend and so, I had a good run in Costume Design for movies and TV shows, and start sewing as a hobby and designing clothes from recycled pieces.
Then I decide to moved to the States and on a working Visa, I got a job as a Production Manager in the Creative fabric or Draperies industry, I worked for that company for a short period of time, in fact until they start expecting me to bring sales up... which is really not my forte. So soon out of work, in the US, with a new house that my husband, (he was my boyfriend at the time) and I just bought.


What am I going to do now?

Since I was starting to miss the hands on part of art, I decide to make soap art. Yep little pieces of bubbly art, very colorful and smelling like heaven.


I was attending craft shows and opening my first Etsy shop, 
and starting to get great contacts and finally seing a future in making and selling soaps! BUT Hurricane Sandy took care of not letting me get too comfy with this idea and swept my workshop, part of my soap inventory, and my house from under my feet. 


After rebuilding our house... I was tired, and for a while and for the very first time in my life, I 
didn't have any idea of what to do next.
For a few years I worked as a Visual Merchandiser, which is part creative compare to being a sales associate but VERY hard physically (and I'm not an acrobat anymore!). After I hurt my back pretty badly, I had to quit and decide to get into music! Yeah why not? I took signing lesson (which I still do) and start signing in a Pop Synth band (a school band, so what?)  And we now perform on stage, six to eight times a year. 

But I also had to make money, right? 


So I went back to my sewing machine and my computer, and now I make Upcycling clothes and I started a Surface Pattern Design company www.dannysremakeremodel.myportfolio.com
And here we are!!!


Money will come in a bit...

I just wanted to add, my first language is french, so... Pardon my English ;)
Shop Danny's Remake Remodel


Comments

Popular Posts